One of the most powerful ways to pray for children is to use Scripture. Because the Bible is the living Word of God, you can pray His Word back to Him, interceding for your children and grandchildren about the very things that matter to God.
PRAY FOR THINGS MENTIONED IN A VERSE:
Luke 2:52 “Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.”
Pray for the child by name, asking that he or she will increase in wisdom (the mind), in stature (physically), in favor with God (spiritual), and in favor with man (social).
FOCUS ON GOD’S DESIRES:
Matthew 18:14 “Your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.”
Pray for your child’s salvation based on God’s will for the child (see also 1 Timothy 2:4; 2 Peter 3:9; 3 John 1:4).
INSERT CHILDREN’S NAMES INTO A VERSE:
Psalm 91:11 “He will command his angels concerning [names] to guard [them] in all [their] ways.”
Other Scripture to pray FOR YOUR CHILDREN:
- Father, give us understanding and wisdom in bringing up our children. Prov. 2:6
- May they be taught by the Lord and experience peace. Isa. 54:13
- That the power of the Gospel may change and fill their lives. Rom. 1:16
- May they be swift to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger. James 1:19
- May they learn to be content with what they have. Heb. 13:5
- May they not forget to do what is right and to share. Heb. 13:16
- That they grow in wisdom and in the knowledge of God. Col. 1:9-12
- May they abound more and more in how they please You. 1 Thess. 4:1
- That they submit to their elders and show humility to one another. 1 Peter 5:5
- Provide them peaceful sleep, and safety day and night. Ps. 4:8
- Rescue them from evil attacks and preserve them in their faith. 2 Tim. 4:18
- Enable them to be doers of the Word, and not hearers only. James 1:22
- That they would learn to effectively share their faith. Philem. 1:6
This resource adapted by “How to Pray Scripture for Your Children” by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. Used with permission.