Prayer Points: Praying for the Persecuted Church
The following prayer outline was published in the February 2016 issue of the White Wing Messenger:
“Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering” (Hebrews 13:3 NIV).
Did you know that at least 100 million Christians are being persecuted for their faith worldwide? According to recent statistics from Open Doors USA, this month over 770 forms of violence will be committed against Christians, 214 church properties will be destroyed, and over 320 Christians will be killed because of their faith in Christ.
1 Corinthians 12:26 reminds us that as believers we are one body. When one member of our body suffers, we all suffer. When one rejoices, we all rejoice. As one body with the persecuted believers, we must be mindful to prayerfully support our brothers and sisters who are suffering today because of their faith.
Join with us in praying for our persecuted brothers and sisters in the following ways:
- Pray for boldness and courage (Deuteronomy 31:6).
- Pray for strength from the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 3:16).
- Pray that they will remember God’s love for them (Ephesians 3:17).
- Pray that they would know how to fearlessly share the Gospel (Ephesians 6:19, 20, Colossians 4:2—4).
- Pray they will see God’s grace as sufficient and His power perfected in their weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9—10).
- Pray that they would rejoice in sharing the sufferings of Jesus so that they will rejoice even more when Christ is revealed (Hebrews 10:34).
- Pray that they will endure (Hebrews 5:8).
- Pray that they would have hope (Ephesians 1:18).
- Pray for their protection and deliverance (Matthew 26:39, Philippians 1:19, Philemon 22).
Additional Prayer Resources
- Voice of the Martyrs – http://www.persecution.com
- International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church – http://idop.org
- Open Doors USA – http://idop.org
- Please Pray for Us, by Johan Companjen (Bethany House Publishers, ISBN 0764224166)
- The Persecuted Church Prayer Devotional: Interceding for the Suffering Church, by Beverly J. Pegues (InterVarsity Press, ISBN 0830857354)
- Singing Through the Night: Courageous Stories of Faith from Women in the Persecuted Church, by Anneke Companjen (Baker Publishing Group, ISBN 1441238891)